Curious about the best beer and food pairings? You’re not alone. Beer is a great match for food because of the complexity of its flavours, its ability to provide refreshment and to interact with many types of food.
The different types of craft beer vary greatly in their colour, alcohol content and taste, so if you want to make a good pairing, you must first understand the different styles of beer. Below, we’ve included a table that you can reference to make a quick pairing.
- Light lagers: Spicy food, burgers, salads
- Wheat beers: Spicy food and fruity desserts
- India pale ales (IPAs): Steak, barbecue, and Mexican food
- Amber ales: Pizza, fried food, smoked pork
- Dark lagers: Pizza, burgers, hearty stews
- Brown ales: Sausage, sushi, fish
- Porters: Seafood, coffee-flavoured desserts, game meats
- Stouts: Chocolate desserts, shellfish, Mexican food